Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Our Garden Rocks!





Photobucket

The one thing we have more of in these parts is rocks!  Both Dave and I are avid rock hounds. I started collecting rocks as a child growing up on a farm where part of our summer chores was picking rocks from the fields after Dad plowed.  Thinking back on that it's ironic that I would love rocks so much because picking them and throwing them into the honey wagon (aka the manure spreader) on a hot and dusty day was as dreaded as a trip to the dentist!

So here we are years later,  hauling rocks home to decorate the yard and gardens. 


Photobucket




Photobucket

Recently we found this rock buried beneath the lilac tree right here in our yard. Only the top peaked out from the dirt and old roots at the bottom of the tree.  We figured the former owners of our house probably placed it there when they planted the lilac and over the years the tree grew and the rock sank deeper into the ground.  We've walked past the thing for years now hardly paying attention to it.

After building our new deck last year Dave did a bit of landscaping around it with ( yes, rocks)  but I thought a statement rock would be nice and sculptural decorating the front.  I mentioned the rock beneath the lilac bush and Dave could hardly dig it up fast enough!  His excitement mounted as he unearthed the beauty and found it to be just the right size for the spot in front.  He does give me credit for having the idea to dig it up. 

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

This is a nice sitting rock.  At times one needs to plop down in the garden and meditate on a rock.  I don't do it often enough because weeds would certainly over grow me in a moment.  However as of late I meditate on rocks, the violence of nature, the sweetness of life, the promise of after life.  All heavy subjects you could say.  

Cathy G



6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh from one rock hound to another.....I LOVE your rock garden!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have inspired me to collect some rocks! lol! I was thoroughly enjoying your entire post. But, I have to say that the last 2 sentences really spoke the loudest... so well stated...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden most definitely rocks! And then some! I would love to fly out and actually visit your garden, sip something cold and wonderful, and then meander into your studio and plan my next rug! You guys do beautiful work!
    Hugs,
    Courtney
    p.s. I have a rock in my garden that has crystals showing through a crack. I've moved it once, and I'll move it to the next house too! Ahh, rock hounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, I love, love your rock gardens and your plants. Everything looks so neat and tidy.

    I too love rocks. I have a huge one on my front lawn that had to be put on a big three ton truck with a pay loader. It was a gift from my husband. The ground shook when he dumped it on the front lawn. My neighbor who was in her basement ran outside to see what had caused this big rumbling sound. He got it for free when they were building our new bridge and were loading rocks for it's construction quite a few years ago.

    Then I have a rock wall, the center needs repair but I love it any way.

    I think that everyone loves rocks. they are so interesting and fun to examine. There is so much of a process to form these rocks. If only they could talk. I even collect heart rocks. I hope that the sun will come and shine on your rock garden this week. JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rock garden is lovely! I collect rocks too. Hubby & I recently spent some time in the red rock country of So. Utah and we brought home a few souveniers - FREE ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy~ so glad you stopped by~ sweet comments!!I tried & tried to leave you a comment here the other day~ so now I remembered & it's working!!I love your rocks!!! So pretty!! A few years ago, we gave some rocks to a landscaper trade for a tree! We just got more off the field we planted Oats in~ one medium nice sized one~ but tons of small ones~ My hubby thinks I am crazy~ We have a rock pile that I insist on keeping~ just in-case I need more for the beds~ I am just fascinated with them!! LOL But don't like picking them out of the field!
    have a great day~
    smiles~ keep safe
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!