Who is Orange Sink?

My photo
Rice Lake, WI, United States
My home town is Rice Lake, a small town in northern Wisconsin. I own Red House Wool Studio~ an in-home wool and rug hooking business. I enjoy collecting and decorating with antiques and primitives. Orange Sink Blog is a journal of my interests and ramblings about life. Cathy Greschner

Email Me Here

Monday, July 26, 2010

Mary's Rug

The rug above is my original rug I hooked for myself.



rug hooking,hooked rug
Mary's rug in progress next to mine


hooked geometric rug


Mary's rug hooked before changes and binding




Your work is to discover your work.....
and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. (Buddha)

I'm learning that hooking a rug for someone else who is paying for my work is a horse of a different color. I'm detached. Big time! Maybe you seasoned hookers know what I'm talking about. I want this rug to be one of my best ever. I know Mary is going to "show and tell" this rug to every single person who comes to her house.  Whew! I have been hooking and rehooking and measuring and remeasuring. Cutting a lot of the strips by hand. Cursing this soft linen on which I love to hook, wishing it was a tad bit firmer. I think the geometric design would have been a little crisper......in short, obsessing.
Notice the white "lights" as I like to call them. In my original rug that I hooked for myself I didn't seem to mind that they didn't come out even leaving the last row of squares without any lights. In fact I guess I never noticed knowing it was for my own use. In Mary's rug I have in my head the "white lights" needed to be in the last row of squares. In order to do that and keep the pattern even throughout I would have had to add another row. Not an option here as it has to specifically fit the night stand next to Mary's bed. The picture here, shows the rug as it sits now. However, I think I am going to move the white light in the 5th row over to the 6th row. Any opinions?
Hooking detached seems to have made a difference in this rug. I like to believe I am putting my whole heart and soul into it. After all it is a reflection of me. It will be out in the world for all to see. Hmmmmm....Maybe I'm not cut out for these commission rugs......or maybe I'm just obsessing.

This weekend (Fri. the 30th we will be revealing our "Forest Secret" challenge rugs! I will be posting mine here for you to see and also I need to get permission to show the others who participated in the challenge. What fun! I can hardly wait to see the designs and rugs of everyone else. It will be really interesting to see how everyone interpreted the "Rock, Ring, and a touch of the color Royal Purple keeping the theme Forest Secrets. So stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. Looking great! I love the little "white lights". My humble opinion is to leave the last row without lights... just like yours. I think that is part of what the attraction is to this rug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree. She loved yours so why change. AND why drive yourself nuts! LOL She will be thrilled.
    I am dying to see what you created for the forest challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one according to someone's fairly wide specifications a couple of years ago. I liked the rug, but was not into it at all!!! I don't know, it's just not the same as following your creative heart. It created a sense of pressure that I didn't like. They seemed to love the rug, and even asked me last year to do another, but I don't think I'll do that again. Too little time, and too much other stuff I want to hook. By the way, I do LOVE the rug you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really hard time making something for someone else--like you say--the pressure can be just a little too intense. On the other hand, I have no problem selling things that are already made.
    That being said, I think you are doing a great job on this mat and the person buying will be pleased. I love how the little white squares seem to twinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is perfect just the way it is. She loved yours. She will love this even more, because it will be hers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy: I know I'm weighing in late on this, am behind on blogs and reading in chronological order. Anyway, I LOVE the light in the 5th row, think it's very clever of you and feel it makes it balanced just right. So there! And now, I'll go read ahead and see what you decided to do without my vote (grin). Martie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our linen is using the very best quality of flax fiber from France.
    Coths made from it are regarded as a luxury item which will provide you a heavenly experience day after day,
    We are very happy to bring to you our beautiful product at a very affordable price !
    Because linen fiber properties are close to human's, It is particularly comfortable and sensual against delicate skin.
    it is naturally antibacterial, antifungal and has great anti allergenic properties.
    It is able to absorb a large amount of water and moisture , and works as a thermo/cooling regulator , which allows the
    skin to breath, cool to the touch in summer and warm in winter. No ironing needed.
    Machine washable, it becomes softer after every wash

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank-you!